A reminder that our Open Day this year will be held on Saturday 28th May 10am-4pm.
All members can help with making this event a success – the easiest way being telling a friend and/or bringing them along. As always there is no charge for anyone attending – PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD!
Mens Indoor County Competitions 2022/23
The deadline for entries is today, however we have only received ONE entry to date, therefore the deadline may need to be extended slightly – if you are planning to enter please get it in ASAP.
Forms can be found in the Indoor Arena as well as on the Club website - www.essexcountybowlsclub.com/files/mens22_23countycomps.pdf
Outdoor Club Competitions
The deadline for these competitions is this Sunday (22nd May) – please get your entries in promptly if you have not already done so. The draws are likely to appear on the noticeboards early June.
On busy mornings at the Club in Summer the parking in our car park is chaotic to say the least. The Management Committee will be discussing what can be done, but in the meantime please make every effort to park properly and if there are no spaces (which is a regular occurrence on busy mornings) then please park on the street.
To all members of ECBC,
One of the most important days of our year is fast approaching – our Club Open Day on
Saturday 28th May 10am to 4pm
If you and every other member of our Club are able to bring a friend along it will make a huge difference.
The event is for Indoors and Outdoors, it is completely free of charge as always.
We will also require a large number of volunteers for the event, so please let Ed know if you are able to help out on the day.
We all need to band together in any and every way we can in order to make this day the best it possibly can be.
Thanks in advance.
It’s May and a good number of us have ventured onto the greens wrapped in as many layers of warm clothing as we can manage whilst still being able to bowl. It was really encouraging to see so many of you at our first Monday afternoon session and also the good turnout of ladies at the Wednesday morning disc game.
I’d like to give a big thank you to everyone who has put their name forward for this month’s Affinity games and for our friendly on the 18th. If you are yet to be selected for a game, please don’t lose heart - your turn will come.
Do continue to put your names on the availability sheet (now on the board outside the ladies changing room) or email me if you prefer. If I don’t know that you are available I can’t pick you and selection gets even harder. Match teams will roll out quicker as we get into the swing of things.
There are games on the 18th and 25th of May which would benefit from more names please.
June dates are now on the notice board and I’ve listed them below. Take a look next time you visit the club or email me.
June Inter-Club Affinity and 20/20 League dates.
Weds 1st June Affinity v. Southend 2.00pm (1H/1A)
Weds 8th June Affinity v. Rayleigh 10.30am (1H/1A)
Fri 17th June Affinity v. White Hall 10.30am (1H/1A)
Tues 21st June 20/20 League v. Runwell 10.30am (2H)
Weds 29th June 20/20 League v. South Benfleet 10.30am (2A)
Chris Johnson (Ladies Vice Captain)
Indoor Finals / Presentation Night
A reminder that the finals of the Mens (Richard Hart) and Ladies Club Championship Singles will be held at 6pm on Tuesday 26th April – with the presentation of all League and Competitions trophies and prizes following at roughly 8pm. Please come along and support.
Mark Wilson Pairs
This coming weekend (Sat 30 Apr & Sun 1 May) we are hosting the second running of the Mark Wilson Pairs. The competition will be of a very good standard and includes 3 previous National Pairs champions so please come along to watch some great bowling.
The weekend is being used to raise money for the Motor Neurone Disease Association in memory of Mark and this will include a large raffle – we would be very grateful for donations for this raffle, please bring in to Ed in the Office.
Across the whole weekend Mark Royal will be bringing his Bowls Shop Roadshow back to the Club, so please use this additional opportunity to grab whatever you might need for the new season.
Thank you to everyone who attended our first club AGM in 3 years. The minutes of the meeting will soon be uploaded to the Members Area of the Club website.
It must be noted that the Club Secretary role remains VACANT. This is an extremely important and vital role within the Club that needs someone to step forward to fulfill – please get in touch if you would like to know more (this is open to Full Members only).
The Outdoor and Indoor Summer seasons are now underway, a reminder that subscriptions are due by 1st May.
Outdoor competition forms are due by 22nd May.
HAVE A GOOD SEASON EVERYONE!
For the latest schedule of matches, please click HERE
Welcome to the 2022 outdoor season.
The handbook for the season is now available, in a pdf format, on the club website (www.essexcountybowlsclub.com/files/2022onlinehandbookoutdoor.pdf) for you to download (requires member log-in).
The opening day drive is on the 23rd April at 14.00. The match lists are up, in the corridor, for both this and the first friendly at Thorpe Bay on Thursday 5th May.
Please add your name if you would like to play, in either or both.
For the opening day drive match, the teams will be picked on the Saturday before the start.
In addition there are a number of feature matches at the club including (in date order):
ECBA Middleton Cup (May & June)
Police Sports UK International (June)
ECBA County Semi Finals & Finals (July)
Bowls England Area Finals – Mixed Pairs & Mixed Fours (August)
As the handbook is now online, it can be updated through the season so look out for further emails on any update.
Here is the latest information for the club competition finals evenings. As you are aware from the handbook these are being held on Tuesday 19th April, Wednesday 20th April, Thursday 21st April and Friday 22nd April at 18.30.
The Ladies Singles Championship final and the Richard Hart Mens Championship Singles will be played at 18.00 on Tuesday 26th April followed by the presentation evening for both the competitions and the indoor leagues. This year there will not be a buffet but as usual the bar is open.
David and I will be publishing the schedule for the finals evenings as soon as possible and this will be available both at the club and on the website. As you can imagine this has been a difficult year and we have had to be lenient with extensions owing to covid with people having to cancel games on the day when it was too late to play a substitute. This has meant that there are still semi finals to be played.
As usual the dress code for all the finals is white trousers or shorts and white polo shirts. If you are a finalist as usual please be at the club by 18.00.
Please come and support the people who have got through to the finals. This is usually a very pleasant evening which is well supported and we all enjoy.
Best wishes to everyone and good luck to the finalists
Margaret Shillitto and David Dar
We are aware a number of members did not receive their renewal by e-mail – we can confirm they were all sent, but if yours did not arrive for whatever reason please just get in touch with the Club Office.
Outdoor Competition forms are available from the corridor at the Club.
Indoor National Competitions 2022/23
Entries for next season’s Indoor national competitions are now open – forms can be obtained from the Indoor Arena (on the back wall behind rink 3) or directly from the Office.
Mark Royal Roadshow
A reminder that Mark Royal will be returning to the Club on Thursday 14th April, a chance to stock up before the Outdoor season!
Indoor AGM – Tuesday 12th April 7pm
Club AGM – Saturday 23rd April 10am
All nomination forms etc for both meetings are up on the noticeboards, please consider adding your name to one of these committees – if you would like more details on the roles and responsibilities please just ask a current committee member or see Ed in the Office.
A warm welcome to all new and returning ladies to the outdoor season.
We’re all hoping for a full summer of ladies’ outdoor bowls with (hopefully) good weather. With this in mind, Maureen, Margaret and I have been busy planning ways to offer something for everyone and to include some new initiatives to help increase our playing options;
- The inter-club Affinity and 20/20 Triples leagues will be running from early May through to September. A monthly list of fixtures will be up in the ladies changing rooms so that everyone can check their diaries in advance and put their availability to play on the sheet. The first of these availability sheets will be up from 4th April. Selection for these representative games will be made well in advance with teams notified directly by email and also via the notice board outside our changing rooms. Ladies playing in these games will wear the Club shirt – either with black or white trousers / shorts etc but we appreciate that not all ladies will have ordered their shirts yet so we shall be flexible on dress code for those games scheduled in the early part of the season.
- Teams for the Top Club and Albert Crabb County competitions will be advised separately.
- The ladies Monday afternoon will run again - as many rinks as we can use - do support these afternoons if you can. Coaching will be available if required and there will also be mixed coaching sessions on Wednesday mornings feeding into the mixed disc games.
- Our Summer Strawberry Tea will take place on Monday 20th June in conjunction with our regular Monday ladies’ afternoon. All are welcome; come for tea and to support us even if you don’t want a game.
- Maureen has arranged a friendly game on 18th May with Southchurch Park ladies. This will be at ECBC this year and hopefully alternate venues each year. Two rinks of 4 are planned.
- Ladies club competitions. There is a new intermediate singles competition aimed at the less experienced ladies. It will be open to ladies with handicaps of 1-7. Another change to the competitions this year is that the Super Vets competition will be a mixed competition; however, there is an age restriction of 80+ as you will see from the entry form. Entry forms will be in a plastic wallet in the corridor or available from the office and Margaret will have some with her at the Ladies afternoons on a Monday. Closing date for entries is the 22nd May and the forms with the entry fees can be given to Margaret or put through the door of the captain’s office.
Please enter the competitions they are good experience for all bowlers and fun to play in.
If you have any questions please come and talk to Margaret or phone; Margaret Shillitto
- ‘Spoons’ - From the end of June there will be 8 weeks of this new initiative running on a Thursday evening from 5.30pm. Teams will be drawn on a disc basis to keep them balanced and format will vary according to number of ladies attending. Over the evening there will be two short games, teams swapping rinks and opposition after the first game. Points are awarded to everyone attending the evening and also for being in a winning team. At the end of the 8 weeks, the lady with the highest points score wins a ‘spoons’ themed prize. We hope this will be a popular event on summers evenings – some bowls plus perhaps a drink and the chance to talk together.
We are keen to hear your opinions and ideas and put them in place if we can.
Maureen Clark, Ladies Captain.
Chris Johnson, Ladies Vice-Captain.
Margaret Shillitto, Competitions Secretary.